- By 2024 no peat in bagged products – create targets for reduction over the next 2 years
- Create Education plan for team and customers to convert to peat free
- Create promotional plan to encourage the sales of peat-free compost
- By 2028 (Government target) no plants grown in peat-based compost
- Encourage and monitor peat reduction by growers. Ask how much peat / how they are reducing
- Actively choose and promote peat-free grown plants
- Millbrook Designer Pots peat free for Spring 2022
Fertilisers and Chemicals
- By 2024 we will remove from sale any chemicals or materials that are potentially harmful to the environment or human health.
- Highlight and promote environmentally-friendly alternatives, plan layouts and space allocation accordingly to educate customers and maintain revenue.
- Assess the use of chemicals by our growers.
Pesticides / Insecticides
- By 2022 no indiscriminate insecticides sold
- What active ingredients are in each product?
- Assess as Red / Amber / Green in terms of impact
- No glyphosphate based products sold from 2022
- No Evergreen Complete or 4 in 1 lawn care sold by 2022 / 2023
- Assess active ingredients in all weedkillers as red / amber / green and impact
Fungicides / Cleaners / Pool Chemicals / Paints
- Assess active ingredients in all products as red / amber / green and impact to agree future ranging
- Phase out single use plastics in the garden – for example plant pots, propagation, plant labels, floristry oasis from 2022. Assess current range to agree list of products
- Source replacement products for above plus alternatives to plastic for weedstop fabric, artificial grass.
- Aim for plastic products /packaging to be made of recycled material & fully / readily recyclable
- Source local or UK made products where possible. As alternatives to core range. Plan layouts to promote and highlight these products.