How to: Plant a Tree or Shrub
Planting trees and shrubs will provide leafy shade for sunny days, sheltered spots for relaxing, and homes for wildlife. The right tree can bring seasonal colour, blossom, berries and fruit to your garden.
For best results plant new trees and shrubs from October to April.
You will need the following:
- A spade or fork
- Watering can
- Compost, fertiliser and mulch
- Stake and tie
- Your tree or shrub
- Dig a square hole the same depth and at least twice as wide as the tree’s rootball
- Remove the tree from its container and tease some of the roots out
- Place your tree in the hole and refill all the spaces around the rootball with a mixture of the soil, compost and fertiliser
- Firm the soil and water well
- Knock a stake into the ground, away from the roots and tie to the tree trunk
- For a healthy tree waterregularly and keep the area weed free to protect the tree’s water supply. A circle of mulch around the tree will help it become established